Menu

Hey everyone, check it out! Game Over... continue? has its very own FaceBook page! Click on the link and 'like' us! Game Over... continue? on FaceBook!!!

Friday, June 24, 2011

Alice: The Madness Returns (7.8/10)

To read the official full-length review follow the link here: Alice: The Madness Returns.

Way back in 2000 there was a game called American McGee's Alice released for PC. It was one of those titles that flew under the radar of most people, but at the same time managed to garner quite a cult following over the years. American McGee's warped and wicked view of Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland now makes a comeback over ten years later with the sequel: Alice: The Madness Returns.

And let me tell you, it comes as a bit of a shock to those of us who grew up with the (original cartoon) Disney version! See, I never played the original game but was intrigued by the sequel. I had no idea what I was getting into! Just the opening cinematic left me slack-jawed, one eyebrow raised, muttering "Ohhhhhhhkay then...."

Alice: The Madness Returns is, on the whole, a pretty good game with a few glaring flaws. The story is truly warped, the combat is decent as is the platforming (when you're not struggling with the wonky camera), and while some of the level design can be fiendishly clever, at others it can leave you scratching your head wondering what the developers were thinking.

And that, in a nutshell, can be used to sum up Alice: The Madness Returns. There are moments of brilliance; of clever design, fiendish platforming, loads of secrets, and intense combat. At others though Alice's adventure can be an unpolished, frustrating exercise in repetition. To say Alice is trippy would be more than a slight understatement. I have to say I enjoyed my journey into madness as I plunged further and further down the proverbial rabbit hole more than I thought I would initially. Still, I can't help but feel like it could, and probably should, have been better.

If you want to read more of my specific thoughts about the game, follow the link to read the full length review at Game Over Online!

Cheers,
Si

Score = 7.8 / 10

2 comments:

  1. I most definitely agree with you on the opening scene. I love the combat similar combat style to kingdom hearts but the lock on system isn't quite as good. Still in chapter one, I'm a little confused on the story line but hopefully I'll get it a little better as I go through the game... Though not having played the first edition to the game might be why the story line is a little wonky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @J
    I agree about the lock-on system, excellent point. The story is clever, especially the way the hints unfold. Hope you enjoy the rest of the game!

    ReplyDelete